Custom Search

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Fake Personalities, fake lifes, just fake it baby...

A year ago I created an account with a false name but I revealed my identity to most of the people who I knew personally and remained incognito for all others whom I preferred to remain a stranger to. And we basically share information that can help a brother out, advice, inspirational quotes and crack jokes occasionally. And that is the kind of relationship I had with most of my Facebook or Twitter friends. With WhatsApp the relationship is more personal and/or professional as the contacts are on my phone book for a reason, so I have to conduct myself accordingly.

Well, since the Film and Publications Board in South Africa went all out to educate people about a whole lot of phishing that goes on in social networks, including Identity theft etc, I was rather vigilant in the whole of the web when it comes to safety. But, somehow most are sharing everything on their profiles including their emails, contact numbers and even addresses with the public.

I do understand that the owners or creators of the social networks "need" some of that information for advertisers but they fail to understand that in the real world, we are not as vain as we act on social networks. Need I say also that our future employers like to take a peek at one's character and how we conduct ourselves publicly. Accurate information can be collected offline rather than on social networks where stress is sometimes expressed.

And then there is a part where someone misinterprets what you wrote and start getting on your nerves only to apologize when you explain it - as if you have time for that or the energy. So, in this case you will be judged in your worst behavior. It is like infringing on a person's privacy to go that route and I strongly discourage it.

My personality on Social Networks is absurd but since my siblings are all grown now I have to babysit online, be a good example, or block them. I am a role model at home not on social networks. I am crazy on Social Networks so I can maintain my sanity at home, work and everywhere else where it matters. Besides what I talk about when I am with my boys differs from what I talk about when I'm with the girls, elders, family members, or strangers. Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment